Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Fans on a Lucky Budget

I make it very clear that I must be very organized when it comes to my finances. I'm not in the most fortunate of places when it comes to my bank account and my income but I remain grateful and aware that this is a lull in my journey. BUT even when I was making steady, good money I still enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. For a bargain that is!

This week I am debuting a fan dance for the FIRST time. My costume is smaller and with less bells and whistles and I'm ecstatic about it.  I love my fans and although they are not as big and lush as I dream for one day I think they are lovely and full of character!



I have minimal options and time when it comes to crafting costumes and props. I am a hot glue gun professional ha! It holds, it's quick, and I have plenty of sticks to hold me over!
I also became a fan of larger sized sequins. They cover more area so you need less of them and I just gravitate towards them when shopping around.

I was so lucky to have gotten a response when I believe over a year ago I had put up a post on  facebook and twitter asking passively if anyone happened to have any feathers they had lying around and wanted to donate to my costume crafting endeavors. Eureka! A very DIY friend of mine Bex (Fitness Guru Extraordinaire)  had TONS of leftovers from her wedding to hot to trot photographer Justin (she's gonna punch me for writing "hot to trot" but he's so awesome I love him!)


I got to work looking up tips on the net to make what are know as panel fans. They do not have the interlocking handles that open and close and are much more annoying to transport but I actually love them and found them much less intimidating. I do not go the easy route I go the comfortable steps at a time route!



So TAHDAAAHHHH! I LOVE them and am very proud of them. I am excited to work on another routine with them. The only one I have prepared now is a holiday act I will be using for 3 shows!



I have to report that unfortunately tonight's show with The Glamazons: The Big Girlie Holiday Show is CANCELLED! The venue was hoping for more tickets to be bought up on pre-sale and that did not happen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Thursday's show and I ask if you are coming to please buy tickets ahead! (They are cheaper that way too!)  I also have a show on Saturday being held by the producers of Paper Doll Productions and the teachers at Burlesque Bikini Bootcamp - those classes I took last year paid off! Hooray!
I also think I'll be at Mr. Choade's Upstairs/Downstairs show next Thursday! Holy cow!! The Slipper Room in exile..that's a super treat and huge honor!

I'm headin back to NY. I had a bittersweet visit to NJ. We had to send a friend of ours above the clouds much too soon but we know she's safe and sound and seeing her Dad again.  The day was spent with friends and family celebrating each moment we have left with each other. I highly recommend it. It does wonders for the soul.

Thanks again for stopping by! We are getting closer and closer to the new year and I am freaking out for all good reasons! I've been trying to write more jokes to use as an emcee. I don't wanna bomb ha!
Have a great week, and I'll see you next time..

Ciao for now,
TT






No comments:

Post a Comment